The Ostrich Capital of the World, and the regional capital of the Klein Karoo (about 120 km from Knysna via the Outeniqua Pass).
- Cango Caves: book a walking tour of Africa's most spectacular show caves (and yes, booking is essential). The Cango Caves are situated about 30 km north of Oudtshoorn. www.cango-caves.co.za
- C.P. Nel Museum: with its collections of cars, music instruments, and local history; includes the preserved interior of one of the Victorian-era synagogues that were once the centres of Jewish life in the town. www.cpnelmuseum.co.za
- Buffelsdrift Game Lodge: day visitors can enjoy game drives, meerkat safaris, and the restaurant and spa at this private reserve just beyond the city limits. www.buffelsdrift.com
- Safari Ostrich Show Farm: take a guided tour of this working farm that boasts one of the best-known manor houses in the Victorian Karoo architectural style. www.safariostrich.co.za
This historic little town is the port wine capital of South Africa - and it’s also an adventure destination for birding, fishing, hiking, mountain biking and horse riding.
- Alicatt Tours: if you need someone to show you the unique biodiversity, rich cultural heritage, award winning wines, breathtaking scenery, and warm hospitality of the Klein Karoo, Alistair's your man. www.alicattours.co.za
- Guided Horse and Donkey Trails: Day trips with the Gamka River Safari Co. include 1 to 4-hour excursions for all levels of rider. The 4-hour Vineyard Trail includes wine tasting at Boplaas Estate. www.gamkariversafarico.com
Wineries in Calitzdrop
Visit Calitzdorp for three of our favourite Klein Karoo vineyards (there are plenty more: see www.kleinkaroowines.co.za):
- Boplaas: ports, muscats, sparkling wines, rose wines, red wines, etc. Tasting room and restaurant open daily. www.boplaas.co.za
- Calitzdorp Cellar: white, red. and fortified wines. Tasting room open daily except Sundays. www.calitzdorpwine.co.za
- De Krans: This innovative estate is one of South Africa's leading producers of fortified dessert wines. Its full range - including Méthode Cap Classique, Chenin Blancs, Chardonnays, Moscatos, Rosés, Cabernet Sauvignons, and so on - has won more than 700 awards since 1980. Tasting room and deli-bistro open daily. www.dekrans.co.za